This month’s Nika of the month worked out so perfectly: June for June! June is truly an inspiration to all Nikas. She’s a hard worker and complaining does not seem to be in her vocabulary. We asked her some questions, and here’s how she answered.
- How did you hear about Nika? I first heard about CrossFit many years ago. One of my daughters has been doing CrossFit for years and I have watched her progress - gaining strength, confidence and growing into a positive, professional woman. (She is also a Level 1 coach). I always felt CrossFit was for ‘extreme’ athletes and didn’t feel there would be a place for me at CrossFit or fit in. I was also afraid - never lifted a barbell - did lots of sports over my many years but never concentrated on a whole body workout.
- Did you feel nervous or intimidated after your No Sweat Intro? I was nervous about my no-sweat intro, because I was afraid of hurting my back. I have some chronic arthritis issues and degenerative areas in my lower back. After learning to ‘properly’ lift weights, I found it didn’t bother my back but I was still hesitant & nervous to join a class. What I found was amazing coaches who always took the time to show me how to modify movements for my ability.
- Favorite WOD or movement? I don’t have a favorite WOD but I have been enjoying all our recent ‘hero’ WODs. I still modify but I found I push myself to work harder than I do when I workout by myself.
- Tell us about a friend or friends you have made at Nika. I have made amazing friends while at CrossFit Nika. During our Pandemic - Liz, Karina, and I would work out together using messenger video - it was really great!
- Biggest accomplishment thus far? I think my greatest accomplishment so far was participating in my 1st Murphy on Memorial Day.
- Next goal? My next goal is a ‘pure’ push-up and after that - run a mile without stopping.
- How was Nika helped with your job, hobby, everyday life? CrossFit has helped my everyday life by keeping me fit. Many days I can’t touch the floor when I first get up (arthritis) but the more I push myself at CrossFit - the better I feel. I almost always feel better after leaving CrossFit than when I arrived.
- What is your spirit animal? I had to look up spirit animals because I never thought about it. Then I took a quiz and my results was deer - my spirit animal is a deer, which I happen to agree with. It’s a combination of soft & gentle with strength and determination.
- Favorite song to workout to? I like to workout with songs with a lot of fast beat like Uptown funk - some of the Beastie Boys - etc.
- What advice would you give others who are thinking signing up for a No Sweat Intro? The advice I would give others who are considering signing up for a No Sweat Intro is to ‘go for it’ - get out of your comfort zone and just do it (and don’t let age get in your way). In the words of Mel Robbins - 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - GO! If you haven’t read her book - The Five Second Rule - I highly recommend it.
- Thank you for the honor of being NIKA of the month. - June Seltman
No, thank you, June, for bringing your awesomeness to Nika!