Laurel was a captain for the winning team, Salt N Pepper, for the Open and greatly impressed her coaches. She consistently brings a smile to share at class, and works hard, encouraging others along the way. She was an easy choice for May’s NIKA of the month. Read on to learn more about Mrs. Zip.
- How did you hear about Nika? A Facebook ad screamed something about being over 50 and being the gym for me. I reached out and it was a cross fit place in Port Orange. Too far I said and that led me to google CrossFit places in DeLand and Nika was one of them.
- What made you come in for a No Sweat Intro for the first time? I was looking to strengthen my core and I joined the YMCA but I just didn’t love the environment. I felt alone and awkward. So I thought I would at least hear what NIKA is all about.
- Did you feel nervous or intimated after your No Sweat Intro? Hell yes I was nervous! I stepped WAY out of my comfort zone to sign up AND show up.
- Favorite WOD or Movement? I like a Fran style WOD. It’s painful, but quick.
- Tell me about a friend or friends you have made at NIKA. OH, the list goes on, but I think the person I am closest to is Karina. We are simpatico and we laugh a lot. But really, all the athletes/coaches that I interact with are awesome! There is such a sense of community and that is rare in any gym I’ve been to in the past.
- Greatest accomplishment so far? It may sound like a cliché, but all my work at NIKA is an accomplishment. I went from zero upper body strength to being able to push press 56 lbs. and bench press 76 lbs! That’s huge for me.
- Next goal? I would like to be able to do rig work (pull ups, chin ups, toes to bar).
- How has Nika helped with your job, hobby, everyday life? We were building a house after having been at NIKA for a while and it was amazing how much more I could do! I was able to help my husband carry and lift and shove and move whatever he needed help with. That’s a confidence boost for sure! Also, my cycling has definitely improved as well.
- What is your Spirit Animal? Well, my patronus is the Irish Wolfhound so I would say my spirit animal is the Wolf. They represent loyalty, protection (especially when it comes to family), compassion, power, and spirituality. I believe those traits are within my character.
- Favorite Song to workout to? I really don’t have a favorite that I can name. Most of the time I’m really bad at song names and who sings them. I just know the music…give me something upbeat that makes me want to move and I’m good.
- What advice would you give others who are thinking about signing up for a No Sweat Intro? I would say, if you’re on the fence, just do it! Sometimes we have to step out of our comfort zones to achieve our spoken goals. I saw a great quote that said “Change begins at the end of your comfort zone.” I can certainly attest to that!
Keep up the hard work, Laurel!